The Barry County Health Department facility was designed to replace an undersized 1930’s wood-framed building that was originally used as a restaurant. The new facility houses multiple labs, exam rooms, offices, and support space; allowing the Health Department to fulfill the public health needs of the citizens of Barry County.
The Health Department faces the site’s entrance and shares a drive entrance and parking lot with the Barry County Jail & Sheriff’s Office. Dark gray brick and expansive glass marks the Clinic and WIC Services entrance, while the remainder of the facility utilizes a light gray brick to relate to the adjacent Jail & Sheriff’s Office, as well as the gray stone of the historic county courthouse. A separate entrance is provided for Environmental Health Services and the covered drive-thru allows for mass vaccination services offered by the Health Department.
The project is designed with an internal storm shelter and careful consideration was taken to allow for services to have physical separation, with the convenience of all being under one single roof.